A place for me to display some of the varied projects that come out of my shop, as well as to "talk" about some of my experiences working with wood.

Friday 4 May 2012

Taking a bite (shaving) out of some apple

Needed to smooth out a short piece of Apple for a project I am working on and thought it was a good opportunity to try out my new hand plane I made a few weeks back. This is a Krenov-inspired small smoother made from cocobolo, with a Ron Hock blade and chipbreaker I bought from Lee Valley.

After a quick sharpening and few taps with my Daed Toolworks plane hammer it was ready to go. Nice thin shavings and this board was flat as a puncture in no time! I shaped this plane to exactly fit my hand so it is incredibly comfortable to use.

Cocobolo smoother at work

Is he intense or what?
Very satisfying to use a tool you made yourself on a special project.

No comments:

Post a Comment