A place for me to display some of the varied projects that come out of my shop, as well as to "talk" about some of my experiences working with wood.

Thursday 15 December 2011

Sauer Plane Finds Loving Home

Sauer & Steiner SNo.4L in Desert Ironwood
Just back from another visit with the plane-building man-genius Konrad Sauer from Sauer & Steiner Toolworks; these visits are always fun to catch up on the latest projects, family and the general state of the woodworking world.




Front View





This time I picked up my new SNo.4L smoothing plane in Desert Ironwood. During my last visit we sorted through his collection of interesting woods and picked out a nice piece of figured Desert Ironwood; Konrad kept me updated with pics as he opened it up to reveal a stunning example of this wonderful material.

I continue to be amazed at the variations and unbelievable figure this wood reveals, Konrad's post here shows some other amazing examples here.

Rear View





Aside from a stunning looking tool, this baby works like a dream, like butter through an amboyna burl and birds-eye maple.

Again, the experience of using a tool designed for my hand and my eye is a pleasure one has to experience to understand.

Back to the shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment